Little River Rail Raod
The Little River Railroad is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to the restoration and operation of historic railroad equipment. Our mission is to keep steam locomotives alive for future generations.
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Locomotives

110 is a 4-6-2 Pacific type locomotive weighing approximately 58 tons. It is the smallest of its kind ever built for standard gauge and it is also a one of a kind locomotive. 110 was custom built for the original Little River Railroad in Townsend, TN in 1911. 110 ran in what is now the Great Smoky Mountain National Park until 1939. 110 served as a logging engine, making its way up the mountains to the logging camps and bringing logs back down the mountain. 110 was built with a blind middle drive wheel; this means that the middle drive wheel doesn’t have a flange on it. This allows 110 to take curves that an engine without a blind driver would have a hard time making. In 1940 110 was sold to the Smoky Mountain Railway and ran until the early 1950’s. In the early 1960’s 110 was abandoned in Shook’s Gap, TN. In 1972 110 was purchased and restored and in 1975 made its first run for the current Little River Railroad. In 110’s 95 years, she has only been out of service for approximately 20 years. In 2004, 110 and her owner Terry Bloom celebrated a milestone. 110 has been with the current Little River Railroad for longer than either of its previous owners and has been in service the entire time. In November 2011, 110 will celebrate her 100th birthday.

 


LRR 110 in Townsend,TN.  approximately 1939

 





Number 1 is a 0-4-0T tank engine. Number 1 is still a mystery as to when it was exactly built. We do know that its frame and wheels were built in 1908. It is doubtful that it has its original boiler because it is in like new conditions. Number 1 is most likely a combination of numerous locomotives of its type. Number 1 weighs in at about 25 tons, less than half of what 110 weighs. Ironically, because of its weight distribution on its axles, Number 1 can pull just as much as 110 can, just not for as long. Number 1 was purchased from the LaPorte County Steam Historical Society in LaPorte, IN in 2000. After 3 years of restoration, Number 1 made its first run in over 35 years in 2004. Number 1 serves as a back up to 110 and makes runs on the slower times in the season.

 

LRR 1 first steam up, Nov. 11, 2002

 

LRR 1 showing its might pulling the Holiday Express.